Headscratcher of the week

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri May 31 22:25:22 UTC 2013

Gang,

	In the interest of sharing 'the weird stuff' which makes the job of
being an operator ... uh, fun? is that the right word?..., I would like
to present the following two smokeping latency/packetloss plots, which
are by far the weirdest I have ever seen.

	These plots are from our smokeping host out to a customer location. The
customer is connected via DSL and they run PPPoE over it to connect with
our access concentrator. There is about 5 physical insfastructure hops
between the host and customer; The switch, the BRAS, the Switch again,
and then directly to the DSLAM and then customer on the end.

The 10 day plot:
http://picpaste.com/10_Day_graph-YV3IdvRV.png

The 30 hour plot:
http://picpaste.com/30_hour_graph-DrwzfhYJ.png

	How can you possibly have consistent increase in latency like that? I'd
love to hear theories (or offers of beer, your choice!).

Happy friday all!

Mike-