why does dail-up or pppoe access always has session-timeout ?

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Thu May 30 12:16:09 UTC 2013

The simple answer is that it does not.

If you don't specify a session timeout, the session will not timeout.

This is how we run our PPPoE services.

The protocol and BAS designer does not set the parameter - the
network operator does.

At 05:10 AM 30/05/2013, Joe wrote:
>hi.
>   a question  obsessed me for a long time.  "why my  pppoe
> connection to internet has a max session time, even if every thing goes ok? "
>   In our DSL access network , max session timeout is set to 4 days,
> this parameter is sent to BAS by radius server after finishing
> authenticating procedure.  As I know,   beside us some other
> service providers also applied this parameter to pppoe session, the
> parameter varies from   48 hours to 96 hours.   Reading  documents
> of BAS, we found this is default value for session-time on BAS,
> that means even if    radius server does not response BAS
> with  session-timeout attribute  BAS will cut pppoe session after
> sometime.    so , why does those BAS designer or  protocol
> designer  set such a parameter for  pppoe access ?
>should anyone do me a favor on explaining  this ?
>regards
>Joe

---

Clayton Zekelman