High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

Gabriel Blanchard gabe at teksavvy.ca
Fri May 24 19:32:56 UTC 2013

On 13-05-24 03:17 PM, Ryan Gard wrote:
> Do you have a source on this? Reason I ask is because any recent
> documentation I've come across indicates that polling is recommended to
> reduce chances of livelock on a running system.

This depends a *ton* of what NIC you are using. Polling IMO should not
be enabled on modern NICs.
They use MSI-X to distribute interrupts to each core through the PCI bus
to the APIC. As well as various methods to reduce the number of
interrupts generated per second.

This polling thing only worked well 10years ago. (Or if you still have
10 year old gear)

-Gabe