Geoip lookup

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Thu May 23 21:06:24 UTC 2013

I've used the MaxMind Lite geo-ip database plus some perl modules and a BGP
table to get something fairly close.  Anything in the BGP table that was
larger than a /20 I split into /20's.  For my use case, this was close
enough.  I then grabbed 30 or so IP's within the range and geo-ip mapped
them.  You can then apply some algebra and get a general idea of where
things are or are not.

Things I used:
http://search.cpan.org/~plonka/Net-Patricia-1.014/Patricia.pm - For
ip/prefix/lat-lon mapping
http://search.cpan.org/~borisz/Geo-IP-1.41/lib/Geo/IP.pm - For Geo-IP
lat/lon data
http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite - Maxmind's city database
http://data.caida.org/datasets/routing/routeviews-prefix2as/ - for BGP
prefix/mask + src ASN info

Good luck!

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....