Dear NANOG Gods

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue May 21 19:25:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, 21 May 2013, Joe Abley wrote:

> The last time we had to ship a number of (Dell, actually) boxes from
> ICANN in LA we bought some flight cases that we could rack the servers
> into. Our thought was to go for reusable, rather than one-off (and we
> had doubts about the state of the boxes upon arrival if they weren't
> securely packed; a flight case with 19" rails inside seemed like a good
> bet).
>
> We found the flight cases with only minimal googling, but if you're
> having trouble Mehmet could no doubt hook you up.
>
> And if you're close to El Segundo and we can get the flight case back
> when you're done, you could probably just borrow ours :-)

There a number of vendors that can either custom-build cases, or might
have something off-the-shelf that will work, and meet ATA300/Milspec
standards.

Calzone Cases - http://www.calzonecases.com/
Jan-Al Cases - http://www.janalcase.com/
Pelican-Hardigg - http://www.pelican.com/

NOTE: I use several different types of road/flight cases for transporting
audio gear for $sidejob.

Fair warning: A case that provides the level of cushioning and impact
protection you're looking for is likely to be heavy - possibly as heavy as
the server itself.

jms