Inventory and workflow management systems

Siegel, David David.Siegel at Level3.com
Tue May 21 17:28:15 UTC 2013

Off the shelf stuff?  There are lots of options, but it seems like the general opinion of the IT groups I've worked with is that it's just as much work to customize and integrate them as it is to write from scratch so we tend to get further way from COTS all the time.

You should take a look at Metasolv (now part of Oracle, I believe).  We used it in one of our P&L regions for some regional products for over a decade and I was always impressed by how quickly they could roll out new workflows and products in it since much of the customization work could be done by a business process architect rather than having to be coded by a developer.

We've also used Granite, which is from Telcordia, but I don't have enough direct or indirect experience to have an opinion on whether or not it's any good.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: vijay gill [mailto:vgill at vijaygill.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:22 AM
To: NANOG list
Subject: Re: Inventory and workflow management systems

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone?
What software solution do people use for inventory management for things like riser/conduit drawdown, fiber inventory, physical topology store, CLR/DLR, x-connect, contracts, port inventory, etc.
Any experiences in integrating workflow into those packages for work orders, modeling, drawdown levels, etc.