Inventory and workflow management systems

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon May 20 13:53:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM, vijay gill <vgill at vijaygill.com> wrote:
>> Resurrecting this thread. Anyone?
>> What software solution do people use for inventory management for things
>> like riser/conduit drawdown, fiber inventory, physical topology store,
>> CLR/DLR, x-connect, contracts, port inventory, etc.
>> Any experiences in integrating workflow into those packages for work
>> orders, modeling, drawdown levels, etc.
>
> isn't it odd/lame that in many cases the answer to this is 'build your own' ?

I remember looking several years ago at a commercial fiber plant
management application called Mapcom.  It looked pretty good, but it was
pricey, and no one wanted to spend the money on it.  So... fast-forward to
2013.... and we're still using spreadsheets :(

I haven't looked lately to see what's out there, but I'd imagine there
*has* to be something.

I can understand why many telcos ended up building their own systems,
because many of them use(d) different or home-grown provisioning/billing/plant
management/trouble ticketing systems, and different back-end systems in
general, making a one-size-fits-all solution tough to do.

jms