High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

Andre Tomt andre-nanog at tomt.net
Mon May 20 01:01:25 UTC 2013

Minor nitpicking I know..

On 20. mai 2013 01:23, Ben wrote:
> With Linux you have to disable reverse path filtering, screw around with iptables
> to do bypass on stateful filtering.

You dont have to "screw around" with iptables. The kernel wont load the
conntrack modules/code unless you actually try to load stateful
rulesets*. rp filtering on by default I'd also argue is the better
default setting, for the 99% of other usecases :-P

With quagga I would tend to agree - but as you I have not used it ages
and things do change for the better over time -- occasionally.

* you CAN configure your kernel to always load it, but that is silly.