High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Sun May 19 15:34:14 UTC 2013

> Hi Nick,
>
> You're done. You can buy more recent server hardware and get another
> small bump. You may be able to tweak interrupt rates from the NICs as
> well, trading latency for throughput. But basically you're done:
> you've hit the upper bound of what slow-path (not hardware assisted)
> networking can currently do.

> 1. Buy equipment with a hardware fast path, such as the higher end
> Juniper and Cisco routers.
>
> 2. Split the load. Run multiple BGP routers and filter some portion of
> the /8's on each of them. On your IGP, advertise /8's instead of a
> default.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

Hey Bill, thanks for your reply!!!! Yeah option 1...... I think we
will do whatever it takes to avoid that route. I don't have a good
reason for it, it's just preference. Great manufactures/produts....
etc..., we just like the flexibility we get with how things are setup
right now. Not to mention extra rack space! Option 2 is exactly what
we are looking at. But before that, we are looking at upgrading to a
PCIe 3 x8 or x16 as mentioned earlier for that "small bump". If we hit
25% increase in throughout then that would keep the barracudas  in
suits at bay. But for now, they are really breathing down my back...
:)

N.