High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Sun May 19 15:28:30 UTC 2013

I had two Dell R3xx 1U servers with Quad Gige Cards in them and a few small
BGP connections for a few year. They were running CentOS 5 + Quagga with a
bunch of stuff turned off. Worked extremely well. We also had really small
traffic back then.

Server hardware has become amazingly fast under-the-covers these days. It
certainly still can't match an ASIC designed solution from Cisco etc, but
it should be able to push several GB of traffic.
In HPC storage applications, for example, we have multiple servers with
Quad 40Gig and IB pushing ~40GB of traffic of fairly large blocks. It's not
network, but it does demonstrate pushing data into daemon applications and
back down to the kernel at high rates.
Certainly a kernel routing table with no iptables and a small Quagga daemon
in the background can push similar.

In other words, get new hardware and design it flow.

--
Zach Giles
zgiles at gmail.com