High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun May 19 13:21:21 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Nick Khamis <symack at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are transmitting an average of 700Mbps with packet sizes upwards of
> 900-1000 bytes when the traffic graph begins to flatten. We also start
> experiencing some crashes at that point, and not have been able to
> pinpoint that either.

Hi Nick,

You're done. You can buy more recent server hardware and get another
small bump. You may be able to tweak interrupt rates from the NICs as
well, trading latency for throughput. But basically you're done:
you've hit the upper bound of what slow-path (not hardware assisted)
networking can currently do.

1. Buy equipment with a hardware fast path, such as the higher end
Juniper and Cisco routers.

2. Split the load. Run multiple BGP routers and filter some portion of
the /8's on each of them. On your IGP, advertise /8's instead of a
default.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004