High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Sat May 18 15:39:55 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone,

We are running:

Gentoo Server on Dual Core Intel Xeon 3060, 2 Gb Ram
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 06)
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573E Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 03)

2 bgp links from different providers using quagga, iptables etc....

We are transmitting an average of 700Mbps with packet sizes upwards of
900-1000 bytes when the traffic graph begins to flatten. We also start
experiencing some crashes at that point, and not have been able to
pinpoint that either.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what else we can strip from the
kernel. If you have a similar setup for a stable platform the .config
would be great!

Also, what are your thoughts on migrating to OpenBSD and bgpd, not
sure if there would be a performance increase, but the security would
be even more stronger?

Kind Regards,

Nick