40 GBit @ 240 GHz across 1 km LoS

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Fri May 17 16:44:20 UTC 2013

I disagree.

It's not the near field stuff that is an issue.. It's the far field stuff
further down the road that is going to murder the link.. Look at his Fig 1
and Fig 2.

Fig 1 is saying that he is getting killed at 50mm/h of rain at 60 gig and
at 175 gig. Fig 2 is saying that everything works well until you exceed
.1km - where real life kicks back in. His clear sky is normal for anything
wireless, but look at what happens at distances exceeding his comfort
zone. From .1km to 1km he's taking 30-50dB of loss on his link. I don't
know what kind of transmitter he has, but *IF* he were to encounter rain I
sure as hell hope he has a form of transmit power control. I also noticed
that they're using OOK, which is much better than FSK but runs the risk of
being clobbered by a relatively small amount of noise.

So yes, this is awesome for running huge data rates across the street.
Down the road, you may have a few bad days.