Call for papers / DENOG5

Hibler, Florian florian.hibler at kaiaglobal.com
Thu May 16 10:33:07 UTC 2013

Dear NANOG list,
I just checked with grizz, before posting this request here.

******

DENOG 5 - Call for Participation and Papers

The fifth meeting of the German Network Operators Group (DENOG) will be
held in Darmstadt, Germany on the 14th of November 2013. We are pleased
to hereby invite applications for presentations or lightning talks to be
held at this event.

General Information
===================
DENOG is a community for professionals within Germany who are operating,
designing or researching the Internet. It provides a technical forum
where those working on, with and for the Internet can come together to
solve problems with every aspect of their (net)work.

The meeting is designed to provide an opportunity for the exchange of
information among network operators, engineers, researchers and other
professionals close to the network community.

More information about DENOG (in German) can be found at
  http://www.denog.de/
Information about the meeting will be published at
  http://www.denog.de/meetings/

Meeting Countdown
=================
What                                   When
Publication of Call for Papers         April 18th, 2013
Deadline for all submissions           June 19th, 2013
Publication of final program           August 16th, 2013
Deadline for receipt of final present. November 8th, 2013
Meeting Day                            November 14th, 2013

Topics for Presentations/Talks
==============================
The day will be divided into several sessions. The number and length of
presentations per session is not fixed, although due to time constraints
we would prefer the length of the presentations to be between 15 to 30
minutes.

However proposals whose subject fall outside of the topics below are
also welcome; please do not hesitate to submit them.

Topic #1: Virtual network infrastructure
"Clouds" are everywhere. Virtualization is the way to consolidate
servers and lower the cost as well as the administrative overhead. But
what about virtualizing network infrastructure like routers, firewalls,
etc.? We see certain approaches of these technologies on the market now.
Which company would be the right target? How does it scale?

Topic #2: Issues affecting the global internet infrastructure
Cyber attacks, software bugs, route-hijacking incidents and denial of
service attacks are common in todays internet, not only affecting single
companies, carriers or enterprises but sometimes even entire countries.
One of the examples was Cloudflare in March 2013. What was really
affected? Was it "a global issue"? In this light securing the global
internet infrastructure is a major topic amongst entities relying on the
internet.

Topic #3: Peering
------------------
Everything about your peering experience. Why are you doing it? How are
you doing it? Have you written any useful tools which others might find
interesting? What are the issues you are facing?

Topic #4: Network & resource planning
---------------------------
Around the world we see large companies consuming lots of bandwidth for
new media services like YouTube, Netflix, Akamai etc.
Forecasting and planning of capactiy is an essential part of quality
assurance to keep your users/subscribers happy. What are the best
techniques to evaluate traffic levels to certain providers? How to
manage the flow of traffic in the best way under the aspect of
commerical and engineering views?

Topic #5: ISP BOF
-----------------
"All things ISP". From Network/SLA Management (for or against it), abuse
handling and log systems to data centre layout and planning (including
power and cooling), everything that is interesting to you as an ISP can
be presented or discussed within this topic.

Lightning Talks
---------------
In addition to the topics mentioned below we will reserve slots for
lightning talks, which consist of a few slides and will not last longer
than 5 minutes. Lightning talks can be submitted until November 8th,
with the deadline for submission of the corresponding slides being
November 13th.

Language of Slides and Talks
============================
To appeal to an international audience we ask you to produce your slides
in English, but the spoken language of the presentation itself can be
either German or English.

Submission Guidelines
=====================
All submissions must have a strong technical bias and must not be solely
promotional for your employer.

Please remember that your presentations should be suitable for a target
audience of technicians from varied backgrounds, working for companies
whose sizes may vary considerably.

To submit a proposal for a presentation, we request you to register at
http://pc.denog.de/denog5/cfp
If you have further questions, you can reach the program committee at
denog-pc at denog.de.

We also welcome suggestions for specific presentations which you feel
would be valuable to the DENOG community.

Please be aware that your presentation and a video of it will be
published on
the DENOG website after the event.

For the DENOG programme committee,
Florian Hibler