Variety, On The Media, don't understand the Internet

David Temkin dave at temk.in
Thu May 16 14:37:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Jean-Francois Mezei <
jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Netflix's policy does require a minimum amount of traffic before an ISP
> can deploy an Open Connect appliance. So smaller ISPs are at a
> disadvantage if they are located in a city without CDN presence.

To be clear - the purpose of this policy is to ensure that people who
deploy appliances use them in the best way possible for their network.
 Anything less than the minimum amount of traffic and the appliance uses
more bandwidth to fill than serve and you end up in a race of diminishing
returns.  We're always happy to try to find the best solution for any
network, even those too small for an OCA.

For more info see http://openconnect.netflix.com

Regards,
-Dave