Variety, On The Media, don't understand the Internet

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Wed May 15 18:49:25 UTC 2013

On 13-05-15 14:07, Owen DeLong wrote:

> If we, as network engineers can't agree on the nature and definition of the internet,
> how can we possibly expect the media to understand it?

When someone cuts a cable in the meditarenean, the media doesn't say
"the internet has crawled to a snail's pace", it says "internet
connections in the middle east are very slow".

If DNS servers at Comcast fail, one doesn't say "the internet has
suffered a failure".

Generally , if one uses the expression "the internet", it would
generally mean the generic term which encompasses the whole internet.

So you can state "Syria is disconnected from the internet".

If root servers went down around the world, then one could state that
"the internet has suffered a failure".