Variety, On The Media, don't understand the Internet

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Wed May 15 16:59:50 UTC 2013

On 13-05-15 09:02, Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> So it's only on the Internet if it uses a provider's transit capacity?

I made the statement in a context of "the internet is crumbling under
the Netflix load". There have been many media reports over the years of
the internet unable to cope with the explosion of traffic.

When a content provider delivers content at an ISP's doorstep, it
basically bypasses "the internet" (the big cloud).

I am fully aware that it is still technically the internet. But the load
is not on "the internet" but rathers localised to particular individual
networks within the internet.

The point here is that the internet (as a whole) has adapted to the
likes of Netflix and Youtube who are able to deliver huge amounts of
data without "the internet" crumbling.