Variety, On The Media, don't understand the Internet

james at towardex.com james at towardex.com
Wed May 15 10:24:03 UTC 2013

On May 14, 2013, Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:
> But when traffic from a cahe server flows directly into an ISP's intranet
to end users, it doesn't really make use of the "Internet" nor does it cost
the ISP transit capacity.
> Compare this to a small ISP in a city where there are no cache servers.
> Reaching netfix involves using paid transit to reach the nearest point
where Netflix has a cache server. So traffic truly travels on the internet.

We're a small ISP and we reach lot of content via peering just fine.  Lot of
these contents that you speak of (Netflix, Akamai, et al) have open peering
policies and are present in more exchange points than anybody else.

james