Variety, On The Media, don't understand the Internet

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed May 15 00:51:20 UTC 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 13:06 , Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Or I don't.  Which is not completely impossible.
>
> In this piece:
>
>  http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/netflix-puts-even-more-strain-on-the-internet-1200480561/
>
> they suggest that Akamai and other ISP-side caching is either not
> affecting these numbers and their pertinence to the "backbone" at all,
> or not much.
>
> Did they miss something?  or did I?

I don't see the word "backbone" in there, other than in the comments.

Your DSL line is part of the Internet, and doing more traffic puts more "strain" (FSVO "strain") on that link, even if the server is colocated with the cable head end.

So I don't see the problem here. But then, maybe I'm the one who is confused? :)

--
TTFN,
patrick