ISIS and OSPF together

Victor Kuarsingh victor at jvknet.com
Sun May 12 19:57:34 UTC 2013

Glen,

Yes, if you are referring to RFC5838 like functionality in OSPFv3 (AF
support) that is correct.  I personally don't have experience with that mode
of operation (as the networks I had experience with went dual stack a while
back).

I guess someone looking to dual stack now may want to consider that option.

I am personally biased towards IS-IS when looking to do both, but to each
their own.

To further my early points (not saying it's a good option, but adding some
context).  The rationale for keeping OSPFv2 was due to legacy tools and
operational procedures.  Adding a second IGP (years ago) for IPv6 was
considered (to some) a way of not specifically impacting the "bread and
butter" IPv4 service while turning up IPv6.

I guess all of that reasoning has likely changed for new IPv6 turn-ups as
there is much more operational experience with running multiple AFs now.

I should have highlighted the context before ­ sorry.

Regards,

Victor K