ISIS and OSPF together

Victor Kuarsingh victor at jvknet.com
Sun May 12 12:47:56 UTC 2013

Glen,

One transition scenario you noted below is often a use case.  I have seen
networks move from OSPF to IS-IS (more cases then the reverse).

In those cases, the overlap period may not be very short (years vs.
weeks/months).

I have also seen some use one protocol (which I think was mentioned in
another response) used for IPv4 and another used for IPv6.  The cases I am
familiar, tended to be IPv6 with IS-IS and IPv4 with OSPFv2.
I guess the reasoning here was that if you are running dual stack, with
OSPF you will need to run two protocols anyway, so running OSPFv2(IPv3)
and OSPFv3(IPv6) may not be that different then running OSPFv2(IPv4) with
IS-IS(IPv6).  This dual stack option has run longer or is semi-permanent
at times.

A sub-case to the above may also be that one (operator) may want to
leverage some of capabilities of IS-IS and may not be willing to get off
OSPF for some reason.  The Multi-topology option in IS-IS may be quite
useful if you have some functions which are non-congruent in your network
and you want to maintain topology variations (multicast being one, or
in-band management which I believe was alluded to in your OOB use case)

Regards,

Victor K