Open Resolvers pseudo Honey Pot (Was: Open Resolver Problems)

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Fri May 10 14:14:37 UTC 2013

On 05/09/13 19:03, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <518BD982.60709 at pubnix.net>, Alain Hebert writes:
>>     ( Ok, ok, another bad customer =D )
>>
>> Starting today at 5h15m EST...
>>
>>     There is a bigger than usual DDoS amplification against the IP's
>> listed below.
>>
>>     Granted root servers query is barely 1k while the usual isc.org is
>> 3.5k and this is a "possible" 15Mbps from this one source but still :(
> 	With a validating resolver
>
> 	"dig any . +edns" return a 1872 byte payload.
> 	"dig any . +dnssec" return a 2030 byte payload.
> 	(difference is NS RRSIG records)
>
> 	Getting the DNSKEY records included isn't hard.  Throw a
> 	single DNSKEY query into the stream once a day/hour
> 	and it will be cached for 48 hours.
>
> 	If you have the SOA cached as well it gets to
>
> 	"dig any . +edns" return a 2087 byte payload.
> 	"dig any . +dnssec" return a 2245 byte payload.
>
> 	Mark

Well during the spamhaus incident I saw some at around 8k.

On another note...

    After 18 hours,  that "pot" is still receiving ~200pps (down from
800 and 400pps) and its up to 614 IP now...

I still do not see the motive behind this one:

    Either someone messed up his botnet and he's stuck on it =D

    Could be a rootkit using this server as a DNS server (lots of
targets are hosted Linux in outfit like OVH).
    ( But again why spamming . IN ANY queries and not cache the results )

    And a new query popped up -> doc.gov IN ANY +E, granted I only saw a
few of them.

    And a few of the source IP's are gaming forums mostly Minecraft
oriented.

PS: Reminder, that this server do not actually amplify anything and the
service at that location is not affected.