bind verbose logging

staticsafe me at staticsafe.ca
Fri May 10 02:56:23 UTC 2013

On 5/9/2013 22:52, shawn wilson wrote:
> In this log line, what is -EDC? I've also noticed +, -, -E, and -ED
> but I have no Idea what they are (called/represent).
>
> 08-May-2013 08:04:49.751 client 1.2.3.4#48747 (ns2.example.com):
> query: ns2.example.com IN AAAA -EDC (1.2.3.4)
>
> Also, I'm writing a parser and we're only loging 'queries' but if
> someone has examples / schemas for the other categories, I'd like to
> integrate that.
> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/logging.html

"+EDC on a query indicates that it is:

- Recursive (+) - it has come from a client or a server that is
forwarding queries to your server
- The sender is using EDNS0 (using larger UDP packet sizes and
signalling the size that can be accepted)
- The sender understands DNSSEC (D) - this is a request to your server
to include any DNSSEC material associated with answer in the query reply.
- DNSSEC validation checking is disabled (C) - the sender wants the
answer anyway, even if the validation checks fail."

Source -
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00434/0/What-do-EDC-and-other-letters-I-see-in-my-query-log-mean.html

Also see https://www.isc.org/software/bind/documentation for further
documentation.