Entry level WDM gear?

David Wilde David.Wilde at aarnet.edu.au
Fri May 10 00:10:31 UTC 2013

Hi Jeff,

Cisco make a passive CWDM/EWDM solution for this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd8029d01b_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

You need to order a CWDM-MUX8A= for each end, plus the CWDM-CHASSIS-2= to rack-mount them.

Then, plug your dark fibre into the trunk port of each mux, and use pairs of coloured optics instead of your ER.

The muxes carry 8xlambdas: 1470, 1490, 1510, 1530, 1550, 1570, 1590, and 1610.  I don't believe Cisco make CWDM 10G optics however, so you may have to get compatible optics.

For 8 additional wavelengths, you could also insert an EWDM mux into the path at each end:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_data_sheet0900aecd806a1c36.html
ie. a EWDM-MUX8= for each end - it fits into the same rack-mount chassis.

This allows you to carry 8 more channels, at DWDM spacings: 1538.98, 1539.77 etc.  Cisco do make 10G optics at these wavelengths; X2, Xenpak etc.

Having both types of mux in the path can add a fair bit of loss though, and there's an optional amplifier unit which can be plugged into the EWDM muxes: EWDM-OA=.

Regards,

David