Traffic shaping going on?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed May 8 17:09:02 UTC 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Ray Wong <rayw at rayw.net> wrote:

> Doesn't seem directly correlated with outages, and everything seems to be
> working ok, but I'm seeing about a 20-30% shift in flows from AS7792 to
> AS3356. Seems unlikely that many ISPs have suddenly turned up a level3 link
> on the same day/hour, and performance metrics all seem normal. I confess
> I've had to turn my attention away from network issues to
> systems/DB/security ones lately, so I may have missed something. Anyone
> else seeing fairly significant next hop shifts over the previous 24 hours?
> All of yesterdays major outages I was sort of suspecting seem to have been
> resolved without correlating shifts back.

Just a random guess:

Level3 could be migrating/integrating further networks which has triggered this shift.  They do represent over 50% of the networks out there

http://as-rank.caida.org/?mode0=as-ranking&n=50&ranksort=1

You can see here they have 51% of AS'es and 55% of IPv4 prefixes behind them.

If you look at the combined, it's even more @69%/72% here:

http://as-rank.caida.org/?mode0=org-info&mode1=member-ases&org=LVLT-ARIN

- Jared