"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 1 17:54:32 UTC 2013

I believe Jimmy's confusion results primarily as follows:

From NRPM 8.3:
> 8.3. Transfers between Specified Recipients within the ARIN Region
>
> In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 numbers resources and ASNs may be transferred according to the following conditions.
> Conditions on source of the transfer:
> The source entity must be the current registered holder of the IPv4 address resources, and not be involved in any dispute as to the status of those resources.
> The source entity will be ineligible to receive any further IPv4 address allocations or assignments from ARIN for a period of 12 months after a transfer approval, or until the exhaustion of ARIN's IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.
> The source entity must not have received a transfer, allocation, or assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN for the 12 months prior to the approval of a transfer request. This restriction does not include M&A transfers.
> The minimum transfer size is a /24
> Conditions on recipient of the transfer:
> The recipient must demonstrate the need for up to a 24-month supply of IP address resources under current ARIN policies and sign an RSA.
> The resources transferred will be subject to current ARIN policies.

Note that the minimum /24 restriction he so often references is a restriction on the minimum that a transferor can provide. It does not mean that there are not more specific restrictions on recipients.

It is quite clear in the policy, as quoted above, that the only reference to a /24 is in the section controlling the source of the transfer.

The only exception to the rest of ARIN policy for the recipient is that it allows a 24 month supply rather than the current 3 month (ISP) or 12 month (End-User) limitation when obtaining resources from the free pool.

Owen