Google Public DNS Problems?

Blair Trosper blair.trosper at gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:07:44 UTC 2013

Goes all the way up to the A root server before failing spectacularly.

Europa:~ blair$ dig +cd @8.8.8.8 google.com A

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> +cd @8.8.8.8 google.com A
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 47332
;; flags: qr rd ra cd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
. 467 IN SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2013050100 1800
900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 46 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Wed May  1 10:05:46 2013