Andros Island Connectivity?

Joel M Snyder jms at opus1.com
Wed May 1 02:02:01 UTC 2013

> Protracted discussion (and promotion) has glossed over one key point:
>
>>> None of the people on-site are technical, and all their data is accessed
>>> via RDP on a server in the United States.
>
> They will not be happy with VSAT latency (typically 700ms though
> physics says you can never do better than 550, and that's for the
> space segment alone) if they are running RDP, VNC, Citrix, or similar
> technologies.  Sorry for being a buzzkill, Warren.  :)

Actually, Citrix (in particular) works quite well over satellite
latencies.  The network project I'm working on right now is wrapping up
an app rollout to about 100 countries, many of which we can only reach
via VSAT.  Testing showed that Citrix performance is much better for
AJAX-y web apps than pure HTTP.

Citrix has a bunch of intelligence built-in specifically to deal with
issues related to high-latency/low-bandwidth circuits, including local
mouse, local echo, click/movement aggregation into large packets, and of
course compression-before-encryption.  It's not quite Memorex, but it's
very usable.

I'd be happy to share the data with anyone who is interested; I also
showed that F5 Big-IP load balancers can make really horrible ERP apps
(*ahem* Oracle eBusiness *cough* *cough* *cough*) work a lot better as
well, if you decide not to use Citrix.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494