Andros Island Connectivity?

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Wed May 1 01:50:10 UTC 2013

I've used them before on SCPC links.  I discovered on a boat one time that the XipLink unit we were using wasn't exactly designed to handle vibrations from engines nor the constant pounding of a hull on water when in the ocean with large swells.  Back then the boxes were 1U rackmount PCs running some variant of BSD, and we had issues with the Ethernet card coming out of the PCI slot after a few hours of operational use.   Maybe they've migrated to something a little more robust now.  Of course, most normal customers don't put them on boats to begin with.  :-)

I agree with your comment about satellite.  It has its place.  Some things it is particularly well suited for.  Other things, maybe not so much.  I often don't mention satellites when someone asks what I do because most people assume I'm a DirecTV installer which couldn't be further from the truth.