Tier 2 ingress filtering

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 29 18:49:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> wrote:
> I've had some problems with my upstream providers' ingress filtering,
> for example:
>
> - Traffic sourced from a prefix announced as a more-specific route at
> transit connection in location A got filtered on a transit connection in
> location B, where only a greater aggregate was announced.

Yep, I've heard of that. This is very bad behavior on your ISP's part.
Spank them and if need be, name and shame.

> - A GRE tunnel anchored in my routers' addresses in the eBGP link
> network (part of my provider's address space) stopped working, as my
> outbound packets was dropped by the provider's ingress filtering.

Yep, I've encountered that. One of my providers decided that the IP on
the exterior address of my router should not reach the Internet. Bad
behavior. Spank, then name and shame.

> - Traceroutes that reaches my network through provider A show one
> missing hop if my best return path back to the traceroute source is
> through provider B, and provider B is doing ingress filtering. This is
> because the ICMP TTL/HL exceeded packet is sourced from provider A's
> address space (my router's interface address in the eBGP link net).

This is a bug, if you will, in router design. It isn't just traceroute
that's missing a hop; if that router needed to send an ICMP
destination unreachable in support of path MTU detection for some pair
of hosts' TCP, the impacted TCP session would collapse. It gets even
worse if you want to configure a particular router link with RFC1918
addresses.

I've long thought router vendors should introduce a configuration
option to specify the IP address from which ICMP errors are emitted
rather than taking the interface address from which the packet causing
the error was received.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004