Tier 2 ingress filtering

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 28 21:08:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:05:57 -0400, Jay Ashworth said:
> [...]

Exactly - packets leaving Comcast's network and going to another tier 1/2,
the receiver may have a hard time figuring out if the packet is legit or not.
But it's trivial for Comcast to tell whether the packet that just came out
my cablemodem is consistent with what their DHCP server told my CPE.
(For the record, the last time I tried running the spoofer.sail stuff
on my home gear, it was totally unable to sneak a packet out, so at least
part of Comcast does this right).

And the fact that there's places where it *is* hard to deploy isn't an excuse
for not doing it in the 98% of places where it's a slam dunk.

> And no, this should apply to business-grade connections as much as resi.

Oh, I was intending *those* would be filtered by default as well, but you
could request an opt-out if you were trying to do multi-homing on the cheap
as some people have suggested (similar to blocking outbound 25 by default,
unless the user actually has a mail server).