So how big was it *really*?

Valdis Kletnieks Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 28 13:23:02 UTC 2013

So we all have heard the breathless news reports of how the recent
urinating contest between Spamhaus and a butthurt ISP was the "biggest
in history".

Where would you guys put it, if measured as "percent of total worldwide
available Internet bandwidth/resources"?  My gut feeling is that by that
metric, it didn't even make the top 20.  Think back to the Morris worm, or
Blaster/Nachi/etc - *nobody* had any free bandwidth when those happened. And
even if you restrict the discussion to intentional targeted attacks, I'm sure
we've had worse (Smurf, anybody? :)