BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 21:19:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <8DA1853CE466B041B104C1CAEE00B3748FA4E8A0 at CHAXCH01.corp.arin.net>, John Curran writes:

>> Umm... How many North American ISP's/datacenters/web hosting firms were
>> aware of the BCP 38 development as it was on-going, and participated in
>> some manner in its review?  The IETF is a wonderful organization, but it
>> is not exactly overflowing with representation from the service provider
>> community.  Also, given that you really need these practices picked up
>> on a global basis, repeat the above question with "Global" rather than
>> North American...
>
> I'd say enough were aware. :-)
>
> 8. Acknowledgments
>
>    The North American Network Operators Group (NANOG) [5] group as a
>    whole deserves special credit for openly discussing these issues and
>    actively seeking possible solutions. Also, thanks to Justin Newton
>    [Priori Networks] and Steve Bielagus [IronBridge Networks].  for
>    their comments and contributions.

I think the core group of backbone engineers, and to some degree
others at the periphery of the DFZ, understand the issues.

And yes, I think it gets back to an education problem on "why you should care".

As I mentioned on another list earlier today, let's face it -- this is
going to require a large-scale, very public, and probably multi-year
education & awareness effort (as if 13+ years isn't enough already!).

How long did it take to get some movement on open SMTP relays? You get the idea.

Some people are going to have to step and add a few thousand more
frequent flier miles and get out to various geographic constituencies,
at various events, and start talking about this. And we need a lot
more people on board. Nation & international campaigns, etc.

And there may even be some stick approaches to accompany the carrot,
but some awareness is going to have to happen.

Sing it from the mountain tops.

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson