Cloudflare, and the 120Gbps DDOS "that almost broke the Internet"

Joshua Goldbard j at 2600hz.com
Wed Mar 27 19:18:29 UTC 2013

That was a really big attack.

The scary part is that it's all DNS reflection, meaning the attackers only need 3Gbps of bandwidth to generate 300Gbps of DDoS.

Imagine if they compromised some of the medium sized corporate networks along with these Botnets. I don't know if the exchanges could hold up against 1Tbps of DDoS, and the difference between 300 and 1000Gbps is not a lot.

While I'm excited that CloudFlare is doing such a good job bringing this to the attention of the masses I can't help but feel that this is essentially a time bomb. If this attack was an order of magnitude larger, things might be very different.

Cheers,
Joshua

Sent from my iPhone