BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Mar 27 15:51:35 UTC 2013

On 3/27/2013 10:25 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Technologies change.  Concepts rarely do.  BCP38 is technology neutral.
If we follow that, we should just state "Don't allow spoofed IP
Addresses!" and leave it to the individual to figure it out. BCP38
leaves that premise by mentioning ingress filtering as well as
mentioning some issues with DHCP. If nothing else, it should have an
extensive appendix to point people to the correct documentation for
implementation.

> EGRESS filters are just INGRESS filters applied a couple of hops later.

They are not, and I can think of quite a few people who would stare
blankly at you for making such a statement. Of course, I can think of
plenty of people who we'd like to see implementing BCP38 concepts that
would need you to define ingress and egress.

Fact: Ignorance is abound on the Internet, even in the running of networks.

If you want a solid change, we're going to have to educate people;
especially those who are not on NANOG, don't know about the IETF, and
have never heard of an RFC or BCP.

Jack