Open Resolver Problems

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Wed Mar 27 12:19:06 UTC 2013

    Well,

On 03/27/13 07:20, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 26/03/2013 14:21, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> And if you get a recursive lookup for www.ebay.com from a hotel network,
> I'm struggling to understand why it's necessary to hard-code dns servers
> into the ip networking configuration of a portable device.  By definition,
> these devices will already have dhcp enabled.
>
> Nick
    I can only talk as a very small outfit, too often our roaming/office
customers have issues with their local DNS server (in embedded devices
like their $60 linksys) or the local telco (ACME Cable Company)...

    Having them using our DNS servers save a lot of time and a massive
amount of money and headache... same idea as offering them our outgoing
mail server (with authentication of course) instead of letting them deal
with their Telco's.

    Mind you none of my 2 servers are a problem because they where
always rate-limited...  But a few of my clients where for an amount
around ~80Mbps of amps.

    And got fixed within the hour.

    Now about the struggling about BCP38...

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443