Open Resolver Problems

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Mar 27 02:27:55 UTC 2013

In message <CAL89Sg+XDKc=_6UWosAZ=wyPJb9tm2GaN0-vDk8Kyiji+vEUUQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Tom Paseka writes:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com>wrot=
> e:

> > means, how
> > >
> > > You make friends with people with busy authoritative servers and see
> > > who's querying them.
> >
> > I'm confused.  Don't most authoritative servers have to
> > answer to just about anyone in order to be useful?
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Authoritative DNS servers need to implement rate limiting. (a client
> shouldn't query you twice for the same thing within its TTL).

You are assuming that there is a recursive server making the queries
and that there are not multiple recursive server behind a NAT.
Neither of these assumptions in true in practice and with the
deployment of CGNs these will become less true.

I have two recursive server at home behind a NAT today.  Both do
DNSSEC.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC