BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Mar 27 02:21:54 UTC 2013

In message <10071844.11080.1364348618832.JavaMail.root at benjamin.baylink.com>, J
ay Ashworth writes:
> [...]

Which is why I said "like this" as this bundle of threads started
with spoofing of DNS queries.

> SAS is sometimes necessary for testing.

Indeed.  Those are exceptions not the rule.  How many residential
connections would be doing SAS for testing, compared to configuration
errors or as the result on criminal misappropriation of equipement.

When both configuration errors and spoofed traffic as the result
of criminal misappropriation of equipement both should be dropped
what are the courts likely to find?

Even with SAS for testing you can filter based on MAC / port / link
so only designated machines can send spoofed traffic.

I certainly don't want to be the subject of a test case.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org