Last mile multihoming

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 26 16:45:11 UTC 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 8:14 AM, Nick Zurku <Nick at nzurku.com> wrote:

> SOHO failover would be significantly easier if you had a VPN server in a
> datacenter, and setup something like pfSense to connect to the VPN over one
> or many ISP connections.

I'm essentially doing this now.

It does not reduce the DFZ impact. I advertise my routes out of the two
data centers where my VPNs terminate (well, GRE tunnels, really) and
run iBGP across the tunnels. It works just fine, but it's not simpler than
it would be if I could just peer with my direct upstreams.

> You really could just buy 2-3 local ISP connections, and let the VPN tunnel
> reestablish in the event of an outage (under a second, usually, states and
> connections preserved). I am unsure of bonding all those VPN connections at
> the same time, but I imagine there is a method to do that.

Yes, that's what happens today. How is managing a mesh of VPNs, equipment
in two additional data centers, a bunch of tunnels, and an extra 4+ BGP sessions
simpler?

Owen