Open Resolver Problems

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Mar 26 14:43:11 UTC 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 10:38 , Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>> From: "Jared Mauch" <jared at puck.nether.net>
>
>> b) locking down your recursive servers to networks you control
>
> Sure.  But OpenDNS, Google, and the other providers of recursive servers
> for edge cases can't do that anymore?

I wish people would stop bring that up.

I guarantee I see at least as many reflection attack as anyone out there. I have not _once_ called/emailed Open, Google, Dyn, Ultra, or any other professional DNS provider asking them to stop amplifying attacks to us.

If you can run a server as competently as they can, then no one will complain.

For the other 99.99999999% of you, LOCK THAT SHIT DOWN.

--
TTFN,
patrick