Open Resolver Problems

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Mar 26 12:15:52 UTC 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 7:07 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> To be more clear, the point of DNS reflection attacks is to amplify the amount of bandwidth the botnet can muster (and perhaps hide the true source).

Yes, hence the 'amplification' part.

;>

More than hiding the actual sources, I think it's more about making it difficult (at first blush) for folks to seine out and filter the attack traffic from the normal 'background radiation' of legitimate traffic.

> And far too many other things. :(

Good point - game servers, etc.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton