Open Resolver Problems

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Tue Mar 26 11:50:52 UTC 2013

> From: Jared Mauch [mailto:jared at puck.nether.net]
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

I'm just going to jump in here and ask what is probably a silly question, but let's suppose I just happen to have, or have access to, a botnet comprised of (tens of) millions of random hosts all over the internet, and I feel like destroying your DNS servers via DDoS; what's stopping me from just directly querying your servers continuously from said botnet until you melt?  Those machines send you traffic indirectly through open resolvers, or hit you directly, but either way, it's the same number of machines issuing the same number of queries, and you're no less inundated.  If your own servers rate limit to protect themselves, you're losing valid traffic, and if they don't, once you melt down, you're losing valid traffic...

Jamie