Open Resolver Problems

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 03:19:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:38:01 -0000, Nick Hilliard said:
>> On 25/03/2013 14:33, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> > I would like to be able to request an IP list of open resolvers in my ASN,
>> > perhaps sent to the contact details in RIPE whois database to make sure I'm
>> > not falsely representing that ASN.
>>
>> Why would that matter?  This is publicly available information.
>
> Some of us have both publicly-facing authoritative DNS, and inward
> facing recursive servers that may be open resolvers but can't be
> found via NS entries (so the IP addresses of those aren't exactly
> publicly available info).

'virginia tech dns configuration' into the webcrawler and:
https://computing.vt.edu/content/dns-addresses

also:
; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @198.82.247.34 www.google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.         31      IN      A       74.125.228.51