Open Resolver Problems

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Mar 25 15:58:06 UTC 2013

On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Mattias Ahnberg <mattias at ahnberg.pp.se> wrote:

> On 2013-03-25 16:38, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> Why would that matter?  This is publicly available information.
>
> A list of 27 million open resolvers would be a pretty convenient input for
> miscreants who want to abuse them, I believe? I assume Jared & co doesn't
> want their collected work to be abused like that.
>
> I quickly scripted a RIPE-based ASN lookup tool for myself just so I could
> look up my own and customers AS-based IP ranges atleast. Thank you so much
> for making the site available, Jared. Very helpful!

There are other tools, such as the one linked to at the measurement factory that will email the contacts for the objects (e.g.: RIPE/ARIN otherwise).

Here's the direct link for those that are interested.

As I mentioned, this is alpha/beta quality code, but i feel very confident with the data.

- Jared