Is multihoming hard? [was: DNS amplification]

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 16:47:06 UTC 2013

On Mar 23, 2013, at 7:47 PM, Kyle Creyts <kyle.creyts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will they really demand ubiquitous, unabridged connectivity?

Let's back up.  End users do not as a rule* have persistent inbound connections.  If they have DSL and a Cable Modem they can switch manually (or with a little effort automatically) if one goes down.

* Servers-at-home-or-small-office is the use case for Owen's magic BGP box.  Which is true for many of us and other core geeks but not an appreciable percent of the populace.

I believe that full BGP to end user is less practical for this use case than a geographically dispersed BGP external facing intermediary whose connectivity to the "end user servers" is full-mesh multi-provider-multi-physical-link VPNs.

It's a lot easier to manage and has less chance of a config goof blowing up bigger network neighbors.

Every time I look at productizing this, though, the market's too small to support it.  Which probably means it's way too small for home BGP...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone