Why are there no GeoDNS solutions anywhere in sight?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Mar 21 15:21:19 UTC 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 12:23 AM, "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Why is there no way to do any of this?
>>
>> Because it is impractical to assume an IP address can be mapped
>> uniquely to a geolocation.
>
> Why is it impractical?  If I have a server in Germany and in Quebec,
> why would it be impractical to have the logic in place such that
> European visitors would be contacting the server in Germany, and
> visitors from US/Canada -- the one in Quebec?

There is not "no way to do any of this."  People do it all the time.  They do it using anycast, which requires a certain amount of network build, or they do it using source-address databases, which have a certain amount of ridiculous FAIL.  Are you actually asking why there's no way to do it perfectly at no cost?

                                -Bill