Why are there no GeoDNS solutions anywhere in sight?

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Thu Mar 21 12:23:16 UTC 2013

On 21/03/2013 09:23, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> On 20 March 2013 21:29, Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>> Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
>>
>>> Why even stop there:  all modern browsers usually know the exact
>>> location of the user, often with street-level accuracy.
>>
>> If you think mobile, they don't, especially because "often" is
>> not at all "enough times".
>
> Are you suggesting that geolocation is inaccurate enough to misplace
> Europe with Asia?

I don't think that it is even a suggestion. It is trivially achievable:

I have a transit provider which is a US based company. They route a
small slice of their IP space to us over the transit link...
at their PoP in London...
where I pick it up and route it to Johannesburg.

All the while - geolocation is convinced those IPs reside in the
hometown of my transit provider.

I also know of many people who use VPNs to intentionally goelocate
themselves somewhere other than their real location in order to get
around certain content filtering.

--
Graham Beneke