routing table go boom (was: Re: [c-nsp] DNS amplification)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Mar 20 21:29:46 UTC 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:48 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
>> Which is all just a fancy way of saying you can't fix people being idiots by changing a protocol, or hardware, or ... well, anything.
>
> One of the advantages I see in LISP(-like) solutions is that it allows multi-homing without having to do BGP...

What i've observed over the years is many of the reasons people use BGP and PI space is to make it easier to change internet providers.  Much of this originally was due to everything being hardcoded, long dns caches and TTLs, etc..

With the exception of a few devices (eg: site-to-site VPN, etc..) these are a lot easier to handle than they were 15 years ago.  I recall renumbering two different dns servers at one point, and we would always get something weird happening where the old domain/IP would come up with someones new registration.

The process is mature, and I suspect many of the issues could be mitigated.  Large datacenters now trust and are renumbered with DHCP.  Installation of hosts happens quickly.  moving of services happens quickly.

The challenge is the people who are not there yet.

- jared