Is multihoming hard? [was: DNS amplification]

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Mar 20 19:39:53 UTC 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

> I think it's incorrect to insist that the Network doesn't support pervasive end-site multi-homing when it's clear that people are doing it anyway.

I know some small WISPs that balance multiple business DSL links using some of these things.  Their boxes are interesting when it comes to the amount of state they hold and how they route those load balanced links.

They auto-failover when a link stops working which is nice.  If you have one of the static IPs you are obviously bound to that line.

I'm surprised nobody here is posting how they use their 3G/LTE USB modem in a SRX or Cisco router and run BGP over that.  (I'm sure someone on-list has done it).

- Jared