routing table go boom

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Mar 20 17:50:50 UTC 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Matthew Walster <matthew at walster.org> wrote:

> On 20 March 2013 17:30, Mike <mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>        I appreciate everyones comments on this issue but I think you
>> nay-sayers are going to lose. I think the future of the internet is
>> distributed routing where the end points ultimately decide how their
>> packets flow.
>>

> You have actually *heard* of BGP version 4, right? We've only been using it
> for 20 years, you'd have thought people would switch to it in their
> masses...

What's interesting is I see more people (eg: datacenter operators) pushing for
BGP in their devices, and scale in them because it is well fed and maintained
vs trusting/using OSPF/CLNS/ISIS and getting the performance limits there fixed.

They would rather use the TCP timeouts vs OSPF timeouts for link discovery
and routing performance.  This tells me there is perhaps a gap in capabilities
or performance that isn't well documented and being worked around.

- Jared